Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Surgery (MICS)Advanced technique. Rapid near painless recovery.
Mitral Valve Repair or Replacement by minimally invasive mitral valve surgical techniques are the accepted standard across all advanced centres in the world. Avoid chest wall disruption and minimise trauma for faster recovery. Robotic approaches are now becoming more popular as they are least invasive.
Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Surgery
Minimally invasive mitral valve surgery includes both repair and replacement of the mitral valve. Therefore, irrespective of valve is repair or replaced the technique of MICS surgery remains the same. This technique was established in 1996 and was first performed by both the Stanford group as well as Dr Carpentier in France. Practised for more than a decade, the procedure is established, which makes it the standard approach to mitral valve surgery in most advanced centres across the globe. Although the number of surgeons performing this technique is still limited, in skilled hands its safe and outcomes are as good as the open technique.
What does minimally invasive mitral valve operation mean?
Simply put a minimally invasive operation also called a keyhole operation does not require the breast bone or sternum to be cut. This means the whole operation is performed through a small 2 inch cut in the right side of the chest using advanced instrumentation and video endoscope for additional guidance. The most noteworthy advantage of this technique is that no bones are cut which allows for rapid recovery. The safety and quality of the operation remain the same as in the open operation. Most patients who are suitable for the open operation are candidates for this operation too. A heart lung machine is used as in the open operation to provide a blood less field while doing the operation. We use advanced equipment for the heart lung bypass that facilitate this kind of an operation and keeps it safe while protecting the patient against injury. There are several other advantages with this operation. Read below for detailed advantages.
Suitable for Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Operation
Success rate of Minimally Invasive Mitral Surgery
Handskills play an important part in advanced keyhole techniques...
Advanced Keyhole mitral valve surgery in progress...
Key Hole Technique
Standard of Care
To speak to a coordinator call +918197196622Call now. This call can change your life!
- Reduction in Blood Usage 80% 80%
- Reduction in Pain 90% 90%
- Reduction in Usage of Narcotics 70% 70%
Advantages of a Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Operation
- Rapid recovery – This technique allows for rapid return to normal life. Small incisions, non cutting of bones result in less disruption which in turn allows for rapid healing and less pain.
- Reduced blood loss – When no bones are cut and the operation is limited exactly to the area that requires treatment, blood loss is significantly reduced. We are able to reduce blood requirement by 80% and majority of patients do not require any blood for a heart surgery. Can you believe that heart surgery requires no blood usage!
- No wound infection – Small and non disruptive as well as optimally located incisions (cuts) mean near zero infection rates. Our technique eliminates infections and patients benefit from not having to take any special care of their surgical sites.
- Significantly reduced pain – This is one big advantage. Our cuts are so small that the only pain killer required is paracetamol. Our narcotic (opioids) usage is now reduced to only during the operation. This means early walking and faster return to home. Several other advantages include no nausea, better ability to eat and bowel movements that return to normalcy faster.
- Better tolerated in the elderly – We frequently operate on patients older than 80 years and our outcomes in this age group is likely the best in the country. No small feat!
- No cut bones – Cutting bones (sternotomy) to do heart surgery is fast becoming old fashioned. Our experience in replacing or repairing valves without cutting bones is the largest in India.
- Cosmetic incision – If we can do good, safe heart surgery and yet send you home with a small nearly invisible cut then why not.
- Better technique – Not all surgeons can do this operation with the finesse that we have. Our experience and training make us the best in the country.